Earth Day is rapidly approaching, and the excitement is growing here at WeSpire! We’re helping our awesome customers create the most impactful Earth Day programs possible, and had a few ideas to share.
Earth Day is this Saturday, April 22nd, but it’s not too late to throw an event at your office and bring awareness to the state of our environment. These 10 ideas can be implemented at any level, from company-wide to a single individual doing their part.
- Turn off the lights: If your office has a window with natural light, rely on that rather than the fluorescent office lights.
- Go printer free: When you feel the need to print something, try and resist the urge for at least this one day. You may realize that you’re printing out of habit, not a necessity.
- Green your commute: Carpool, bike ride, walk or take public transportation instead of driving!
- Allow employees to work remotely: If the 41 million Americans with telework-compatible jobs worked from home once a week, we would reduce 423,000 tons of greenhouse emissions. Try it for a day and see if it works for your team!
- Run an electronics recycling drive: Technology is advancing faster than many of us can keep up with, leaving us with a trail of e-waste. TVs, VCRs, DVD players, fax machines all have been deemed obsolete for many. Provide an opportunity for people to bring their electronics in and give them the peace of mind that they’ll be disposed of in a sustainable manner.
- Screen a film: Find a documentary or a series, such as Planet Earth, that addresses issues about the environment.
- Invite a local speaker: Utilize your network and tap a local environmental expert to talk to your team. If you don’t know anyone personally, reach out to your local Audubon society, environmental league or environmental defense fund.
- Plant a Tree – or Donate one! In 2015, the Earth Day Network launched a campaign to plant 7.8 billion trees over five years – one for every person projected to live on Earth by the year 2020. Help support their initiative by planting a tree, or contribute to their campaign.
- Go vegetarian for a week: 51 percent or more of global greenhouse-gas emissions are caused by animal agricultural. We can all reduce this statistic by reducing our consumption of animal products. Take one week of April to go meatless to celebrate Earth Month!
What small acts are you taking this year to celebrate Earth Day? Is your business making waves with a large Earth Day campaign? Either way, we want to hear about it!